(this recipe is on page 116 of my book, it is the family size recipe, doubled)
- 4 tablespoons raw tahini
- 10 tablespoons water, more or less
- 4 tablespoons nama shoyu or other liquid salty substitute
- 1/2 cup minced scallions
- 2 tablespoons flax seed oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (toasted if you are not 100% raw for best flavor)
- 2 tablespoons honey (tastes best but use agave if you prefer, honey is not vegan)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
In a blender, blend all ingredients until fairly smooth. Add half of this dressing to the pâté, then more as necessary for taste and texture, you can adjust texture with addtional pâté as well. This will be a soft pâté, like hummous or onion dip, use it to fill veggies, like half a pepper, or top off a salad with it.
Other yummy items you can add to this pâté to bring out the Asian flavor in it are: chopped cilantro, minced celery, chopped snow peas, finely minced carrot or red pepper, chopped leeks and or chopped shallots.